Monday, October 8, 2012

Is this who I really am??

Name:

Dayna Keudel-Schaffer

Date of Birth:

05-03-1990

Gender:

Female

Religion:

Christian

Home Language:

English

Race:

White

 

Is the simple questions we fill out on every form enough to tell who you are? Is saying you a Christian and follow the ways of God enough to show what morals and values you have? So often we put into categories based on sex, religion, age or race, and so many of us are content with staying in these boxes never questioning who we really are. Should we not question our inner beings? give into the struggle between the id, ego and SUPEREGO; let you inner personality and beauty show and manifest?

Too many times I am content staying in my bubble of what I am taught to do. I must not transfer my feelings to my patients, I must not be emotional with patients, I must empathize not sympathize with them. But is this hard-core person with no feelings about the real world really me? There’s a huge struggle in my subconscious that’s happening between my inner person and this person I’ve trained to be.

If you stop the thoughts that disable you to be your full potential and focus on replacing these thoughts with positive reinforcements it will show in you and become who you are. – advice to be taken in and implemented immediately!! Or try at least… after all life is all about the lessons and learning curve.

This has found me questioning what my values and morals really are. Are they just things that have been forced into my mind by my parents, religion and peers? Or are they truly things I believe in and have my own decisions about it? I’d like to give my parents the benefit of the doubt and say they raised me the correct way by allowing me to make my own assumptions about my morals and values, as they do with other situations I find myself in. but will I really know the answer to this?

All I can do now is critically evaluate what my values really are…so let’s begin…

These are my options to choose from:

-          money

-          acceptance/popularity

-          balance

-          beauty

-          communication

-          family

-          religion/wisdom

-          friendship

-          independence

-          peacefulness

The task is as follows:

1.       prioritize which of these are most important to you and draw up a list

2.       take the top 5 values and add 2 that are not on the list

3.       give reasons for your top 7 choices

Task one:

1.       religion/wisdom

2.       family

3.       communication

4.       independence

5.       friendship

6.       acceptance/ popularity

7.       money

8.       beauty

9.       balance

10.   peacefulness

Task two:

1.       religion/wisdom

2.       family

3.       communication

4.       independence

5.       friendship

6.       accomplishment

7.       approval

Religion and wisdom is the backbone to any value. It is literally inbred and will always be the corner stone to any situation that needs to be approached. Family is my support system and I hold them dearly. Growing up in a big family that I have, and having 3 brothers to look over me I’ve been truly blessed by my family therefore I feel that religion as well as family should be my number one choice as they go hand in hand.

Communication will always be high on my list. Without communication life would be a mess. Communication is the foundation to any relationship. Without communication you cannot live in peace. Lies and corruption sneak their way in without an honest and open relationship between two people. And I firmly believe communication and make or break a relationship. Hatred can form from miscommunication, this can cause unwanted stress. Life has too many other things to worry about than that!

 I’ve always been an independent person. I’ve always been encouraged to think for myself and stand on my own two feet. It makes you a stronger person. I look at some of my friends who still live at home – they call upon their mothers for every problem they have (yes this is a nice safety net to have). but the feeling of when you change your own tyre, put out your own fire, or do anything that other people would run home to. Well that feeling is AMAZING! It makes me feel like I could conquer the world. (Then my subconscious reminds me that changing a tyre won’t help with the world’s PROBLEMSL)

With good communication and support from family comes friendship.But im talking about TRUE friends. the ones you can phone in the middle of the night when you in trouble. The ones who you can count on no matter what the problem may be, who are there through thick and thin and stand behind you supporting you no matter what. Your strength through the storms. THOSE friends are far and few but I'm so grateful to say I know people like this and can call them my friends :)

 

Why have I added accomplishment and approval? Well after everything I've had to deal with within my lifetime I feel this is close to me and find myself looking for this in every situation. I've lived under my brothers shadow all my life.  - The ADHD kid who needed all the attention and the star kid who got all the attention.  And as a young child I found myself constantly seeking for this attention so maybe this stems from there, maybe not.

 

 But no matter what I know I wouldnt change a thing because I wouldnt be the person I am now with the insight I have if it wasnt for the life lessons I have learnt.

 
"Every mother has given birth to a child, but my mother gave birth to a legend...HIGH 5 MOM!!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment