Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Living a day as a disabled person

Arriving at campus on the morning of the 21st February and fetching the wheelchair, as I was allocated the disability of being a paraplegic, made me more award of the accessibility of our campus and the slopes and levels that are on our campus. We were fetched at the Anatomy bus stop and being enthusiastic we thought we would act out this disability early and wheel ourselves down to the bus stop. We soon discovered that we had no access after a point and there was only stairs. We then discovered how unequipped the university buses are for people in wheelchairs and the driver even making a comment of “I can’t have people in wheelchairs on my bus”. It really made me take notice of my campus and how so many places on my campus are far too difficult to access for people with disabilities.

Arriving at Pavilion I had difficulty adjusting to my wheelchair and quickly discovered how a wheelchair that is not fitted properly for my body measurements can be highly uncomfortable. My armpits kept getting hit by the handles as the back was too low. I was very slow in the wheelchair and my arms got tired quickly from wheeling.

I firstly went to Mr Price to try on clothes. I found the staff very helpful and in fact one of the male workers wanted to follow me around to ensure I got the items I needed. When in the change rooms I discovered that the first change room is in fact wheelchair friendly although turning the wheelchair around inside the stall and closing the door of the stall was very difficult to do. I however found the staff at Mr Price very accommodating and always warning me if I was about to crash into something. Mr Price is built on two levels and they have put an elevator in place to access the levels. However I did find that they kept parking a clothing rack in front of the elevator as the elevator was next to the change rooms and when I wanted to use the elevator I had to ask the assistant to move the rack.

I found the other shoppers at Mr Price almost judgemental of me and kept staring with different expressions which made me very self-conscious. One lady just kept smiling awkwardly as if she wanted to say something but couldn’t. When I saw my friends in Mr Price I started laughing and chatting to them and got looks from people for laughing and being happy. I felt like they were blaming me for being happy in a wheelchair.

I then continued to Mugg and Bean. I enquired with one of the waiters why Mugg and Bean is not wheelchair friendly as the restaurant is on a platform with which the waiter just replied “we never thought about it”.   I went to the ATM to withdraw money which I found extremely difficult as the screen was far away and felt like there was no safely protecting my pin code as everything was exposed. I had difficulty pressing the buttons and seeing what I was doing. Luckily there was no one around to see this as I feel that persons in wheelchairs could easily be robbed at an ATM. A wheelchair leaves a lot of space between the person and ATM and exposes the pin code, as well as if an abled body person had to run off with the money being withdrawn there would be no way for the wheelchair bound person to get the money back as a wheelchair is clumsy and slow.

By that time I had started to get blisters on my hands and the one had started to go raw. So I went to checkers and bought plasters. In checkers I found the isles were big enough for the wheelchair but nothing else and turning around in an isle was impossible without knocking something over. At the cashiers the counters were high and the tellers also start to take pity on you but gossip amongst themselves in Zulu about the condition you are in as well. The tills are also not very easily accessible by wheelchair and I found quite a bit of difficulty doing this.

I then went to the arcade where I watched Kaylee and Hannah play 10 pin bowling. There were ramps going into the arcade however these were steep and found unsure when reaching speeds on these ramps. I took photos of the girls playing 10 pin bowling but all the staff at the arcade came to watch them play to see if these girls in wheelchairs were really able to play or not. Upon completion of playing 10pin bowling we all decided to go play arcade games. The ramp from the bowling alley to the arcade games was too steep and a cleaner had to assist us to get up the ramp. I played a game where you throw a ball in a hoop. The ball bounced off the hoop and rolled away I had to then go after the ball to pick it up, while the time on the machine ran out. The people working in the arcade watched this all happen and didn’t provide any help and as I bent to get the ball off the ground lost my balance and had to correct myself with my feet, which a proper paraplegic wouldn’t be able to do and would have actually fallen out. I was feeling a bit brave after that and decided to play the machine where you test your muscle strength by hitting a hammer on a disc. To find out doing that while sitting is not very easy and I had no real strength to my hits. You could only collect tickets for this if you get a point over 800. I got in the 700’s. The man fixing the machine took pity on me and gave me a stack of tickets from a broken machine for trying. When we cashed in out tickets we had 57 tickets and the 3 of us wanted to get the same thing as a memory, so we asked the lady if she could count it as 60 so we could get the same thing which she readily agreed to because of our condition.

At lunch an old man quickly jumped and moved chairs for us so we could sit around a table and continued to ask questions of what happened and if we are ok. The waitress didn’t know how to handle the situation and hesitated every time before approaching the table. She also kept staring at the wheelchairs and we had to repeat our order a few times as she was distracted by the wheelchairs. I found this quite funny but I could also imagine to a permanently disabled person that this could get annoying and they could feel like they are being put on show.

During my journey around the mall I saw an elderly lady in a wheelchair that smiled and asked how long I had been in the wheelchair for. I found this talk with her encouraging as she was so friendly and full of life even though she was wheelchair bound. Also many people would approach me to tell me where the lifts were.  Although I found lift in the mall were not useful as they took a long time to arrive and were always filled with people with trolleys and these people were not willing to give way for the wheelchair. The bathrooms are not wheelchair friendly on every level of the mall and only specific levels had access to bathrooms for the wheelchair. Some of the ramps I couldn’t manage and had to get out the wheelchair and push it as it is too steep to get up.

At 11.30 I changed disabilities with one of the other girls and went onto having crutches which I found so much easier to manage in terms of accessing places and getting around the mall. I went to the information desk and because I was still with Hannah who was in the wheelchair we discovered how high the desk is in relation to persons in a wheelchair. We asked why this was and the reply we got was because the persons in the information desk can stand up to see you. We enquired as to how they accommodate in the mall for people. The information we got on this was that there are lifts provided and if a person phones in advance they have wheelchairs at the mall which may be used by people and this facility is run by the security guards. However they do not provide people to assist them in the mall and to push them around the mall.  

I went to both Sportsman’s Wearhouse and Mr Price Sport and enquired if they stocked any equipment that accommodated for people with disabilities. At Sportsman’s Wearhouse a sales rep told me I was the 5th person to come ask him today and that he was sick of the question. So obviously now knowing what this practical was about he had no time to accommodate for me. At Mr Price Sport the people were interested in what we were doing. They told us we were the first students to come in there and when I asked them the same question they said that they didn’t but they had a number of a lady that does adaptions for people with special needs but would need to phone her and ask her permission to give her number to us. Most of the staff of Mr Price Sport were so intrigued by what we were doing and wanted us to fully explain our aim of the day and what occupational therapists do. This gave a vote of confidence to me and these people had never thought of many of the considerations that need to be taken for people with disabilities and found that I gave me something to think about which I pray they will implement into their lives and store.

When walking back across the mall, with Kaylee and Hannah still in wheelchairs, there was a demonstration for an electric massager. The man wanted to do a demonstration on the two girls in the wheelchair.  He firstly wanted to try the massager on Hannah’s legs but when we told him that she has no sensation in her legs he started being conscious of where he was massaging. I felt the education of general people on disabilities was not the greatest, and many people during the course of the day didn’t know how to handle the situation of people with disability adequately.

Overall evaluation of the Pavilion I found the floors slippery and often felt unbalanced on the crutches as they slid out and also found in the wheelchair that adequate traction could not be found in areas of the mall. The access of the mall was terrible and found myself waiting for lifts and wasting time doing this as people with trolleys in the life did not make any effort to accommodate for persons with disabilities. The overall attitude of the people within the mall was discriminating as people looked at you with shame or some people just didn’t care and went about doing their daily activities without taking into account my disability. Some people got irritated when they had to move out the way to make room for the wheelchair to pass.

I felt this exercise gave a good insight into how people with disabilities felt as I got very frustrated at times with the people, area I had to manipulate the wheelchair in, the work surfaces and heights. I felt weak at times and flustered as it took great amounts of upper body strength and stamina to keep constantly going. I was constantly sweating and felt very unlady like doing this.  I was irritated with the people’s behaviour towards disabilities after a few hours at the mall because I found they would look down on me if I was laughing with friends or they would all just look in shame as we struggled pass but never offered help but always made comments like “someone should help you with that”. I found very little people willing to help in stores and often got ignored when struggling to reach for something.

And I now personally know the frustration and endurance it takes to be disabled and shall never take my able body for grated and shall never ignore or show shame for a person with disability as I think it must get frustrating to only get pity from people. But will rather offer my help in a constructive manner that shall help us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment