Thursday, October 18, 2012

The journey



It has been an emotional and tiring journey through this last semester. Going from a class that had so much segregation and transforming into an amazing class who can achieve anything. We were branded as a class who had too many behavioural problems and we fought that battle and proved that wrong.

Coming into this semester I told myself ``this is psych, you rock it so now own it`` - this confidence boost of course coming from when I achieved 100% in a psychiatrics test the semester prior. The prac venue I was placed at was amazing. It had its ups and downs...and I shed tears but looking back I wouldnt have changed it. It made me grow as a person and look inward to what I should change in my life. My supervisor has been nothing less than amazing and has molded us in ways I never would have imagined.

Walking into Northbay Lodge for the first time everyone was so loving and I was so happy. I never thought at that time that love being  showed was more than meets the eye and I`d want to throttle one of them. But soon the curtain needs to drop and you see the truth. After
countless number of inappropriate gestures to my prac group and many social skills sessions we eventually saw some change.Slowly but surely. Theres still lots of improvement to be made...but as always baby steps.

The improvement I have seen in my clients alone has been amazing. And i hope they will improve when Im no longer there.

We invited  chairman, social worker and manageress from the facility to come watch our presentation of the leisure programme we are implementing into the facility. He was a huge pat on the back to see these 3 people who we have feared say they are proud of what we have done. It makes me proud of what I have done too.

We can all achieve great things within a short period of time if we put our minds to work. And the prac group I have been with has really shown that. We've all made it to the end.. after we often thought of giving up. But it sure as hell was one bumpy ride getting here.

Writing this blog has shown me how to analyize my thoughts. I so often question things but dont ever say it out loud... but would I not make such a change if I actually act out on these thoughts? But there is a time and place for everything. And people dont always take it the right way...so for now... I'll just keep my thoughts inward until I find a way to make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment